November 2014 Snippets
There was discussion amongst the board about adding a lacrosse program. The information presented to the board showed that there wasn’t enough interest among the female students to field a girls’ team. However, there appears to be enough interest among the male students to field a boys’ team.
October 2014 Snippets
Led by Mr. Blazure, a group of our students participated in a portion of the 300th anniversary celebration of Hunterdon County. Our students played an integral role in preparing a timeline that is among the items being buried in a time capsule to be opened in 2114. Mr. Blazure was able to integrate the historical impact of Hunterdon County into all of the academic areas instructed in our district.
Ms. Dominic presented the 2013-2014 NJASK results for AMS:
Mrs. Kacedon presented the 3rd grade NJASK results for AMS:
The opening of the school year was the smoothest that Dr. Jennings and the administration have ever been involved in. Thanks goes to the support staff, the teachers and the administration for the work they did to prepare for the school openings.
Ms. Kirk, Ms. Rosenthal, Mr. Ferrante and Ms. Semanchik all earned tenure and were presented to the board by their principals and given certificates by the administration to commemorate the achievement.
Mr. Pawlowski is engaging in conversation with the township to correct an error in the amount of tax revenue received for the month of August. Also noted was a shortfall in fund 20 due to state grants and payment timeliness for the previous school year.
August 2014 Snippets
Two new teachers were introduced by Dr. Jennings and approved by the board. Ms. Hamrah will be teaching fourth grade and Ms. Grossmann will be teaching 5th grade. They are replacing openings that resulted from the resignations of Ms. Weisman and Ms. Fallon.
The newly configured entrance at LDW will be open and functional in the middle of September. Ms. Kacedon will be sending instructions to families of students that attend LDW regarding the new entrance.
July 2014 Snippets
· Sending district board presidents will meet with new South Hunterdon District to discuss their experiences with the recent regionalization project that they just went through. The board presidents are looking at the possibility of a regionalization study and depending on results the possibility of posting a question on the November 2015 ballot.
·The LDW vestibule project is progressing and will be completed by the start of school in September.
·The recess issue for fourth and fifth graders was discussed by the board and the parents in attendance. The plan that was outlined in the letter that was sent out to the parents is how we will start the school year. The plan will be evaluated throughout the year to determine its effectiveness and could be changed or modified as deemed necessary. It was also pointed out that the teachers have the flexibility within their school days to give students any breaks that are warranted.
June 2014 Snippets
Mrs. Dominic presented some student accomplishments:
May 2014 Snippets
The school nurses from both LDW and AMS presented the procedures in place for those students with various life-threatening allergies. Technology enables them to provide all school and transportation personnel with pictures and descriptions of impacted students. The nurses oversee staff training and dry runs of the steps to take should an issue arise.
The superintendent and the business administrator presented the 2014-2015 budget and noted that we went to the 2% cap of $150,000. The priorities for the upcoming school year include the Professional Learning Center environment for our teaching staff, the iPad initiative for the fourth and fifth grade students, the state mandated implementation of the core curriculum and upgrades to school safety and security.
Our AMS students who were part of the Law Adventure Competition Team were awarded the second place plaque. They presented their case, as a result of their placing, at an event sponsored by the New Jersey State Bar Association. Congratulations to Mr. O’Donnell and his team.
Pierce Werrmann and Grace Miller, members of our eighth grade class, have both qualified for the nationals in a history competition to be held in Atlanta in June this year. Pierce and Grace achieved the highest scores in the Regional “History Bee” that was recently held in Philadelphia. As a result of their success they qualified for the “National History Bee” finals.
April 2014 Snippets
· The district is forming committees made up of teachers and parents. The committees will be tasked with investigating the current practices in use regarding grading, homework, observation/discussion of teaching and paperwork reduction; and suggesting opportunities for improvement.
· The board approved the contracts of Dr. Jennings as the superintendent through June 30, 2019 and Mr. Pawlowski as business administrator through June 30, 2015.
· The board approved the contract with the Alexandria Township Teachers association through June 30, 2017.
March 2014 BOE Snippets
· Mr. O’Donnell spoke about the group of students involved in the Law Fair program. Our group of students presented a case for the state-wide competition and placed second out of over 200 entries. This is was a tremendous achievement for our students and they will be presenting their case at Rutgers in the near future.
· The school principals presented the results of the mid-year assessments. In most grades our students have improved from the first assessment to the second with the math scores presenting higher growth than the language arts scores. The staff is brain-storming to find ways to improve the weaker areas.
February 2014 Snippets
· Three seventh grade students presented the books they created from an ATEF grant as a result of their annual trip to Fairview. Each of the students presented their individual books in front of the board and the audience.
· The board received a presentation from the New Jersey School Boards Association regarding implementing a strategic plan. The board will be considering the need and implementation of a strategic plan in coming meetings.